DD-WRT Firmware Upgrade on Linksys WRT54GL
Replace factory firmware on a Linksys WRT54GL Router to DD-WRT.
Replace firmware with DD-WRT
NOTE: Replacing the factory firmware is different for every router. In this example we will replace the firmware on a Linksys WRT54GL .If you have a different router, find your solution here to replace the factory default firmware with DD-WRT.
Leave your router's installation CD in the box, you won't need it.
1. Connect your PC to the LAN of your hotspot router (do not connect it to the internet port, because you have to connect your existing netowork to the internet port). Be sure your computer obtains IP addresses automatically from your existing router or network via DHCP.
2. Open a browser and type http://192.168.1.1 (login: admin, passwd: admin)
3. Go to Administration > Firmware upgrade.
4. Browse to the MINI firware which you have previously downloaded, then press UPGRADE. (In case of upgrading the original Linksys firmware, you MUST upgrade to the mini version of DD-WRT first). UPGRADE MUST NOT BE INTERRUPTED so please don't turn off the power or press the reset button. After 3-4 minutes "Upgrade successful" will come up. Please wait for this message it is very important. Do not go further until you can see the message.
5. After the successful firmware upgrade, reset your router by pressing the reset button for at least 5 sec. on the back of your router (little button on the back of the router). Verify whether the router is doing a reset/reboot or not. If the POWER light on the front of the router is starting to flash, then everything is OK. If nothing happens, then unplug the router, then plug in again. Wait for the router to finish the boot process (the POWER light stops flashing), then press the reset button on the back for 5 seconds. The router should do a reset now.
6. Wait aprx. 30 sec and try to open http://192.168.1.1 . If you cannot connect, then reboot your computer then try again. If you still cannot connect then visit this page.
You should see the following screen:
You must have to set a new username / password for the router's admin interface.
7. Repeat step 4 and upgrade the firmware again with the standard generic firmware. After 3-4 minutes "Upgrade successful" will come up. Please wait for this message it is very important. Do not go further until you can see the message.
Now you have a new firmware in your router, now you need to load your hotspot settings.
TIP: If you have troubles with the first step, please visit our troubleshooting page to find a solution to your problem.