OpenWRT Hotspot Firmware
Important note: This solution requires a Hotspot Operator Account at HotSpotSystem.com. You can create an Operator Account here. If you would like to see what features you will be able to use with our solutions, click here. If you already have an Operator Account, then read on...
We are not liable nor responsible of the outcome of your firmware flashing procedure
1. Please download the firmware applicable to your router from here: http://www.hotspotsystem.com/firmware/openwrt/
Select the directory based on the router you have. The first file ending with 'factory.bin' in the directory is for an upgrade a router's factory state and firmware, while the second one ending with 'sysupgrade.bin' should be applied when upgrading from openWRT or DD-WRT.
If you don't find your router there, we may be able to build you a dedicated firmware so please contact us. Or you can try to build a firmware manually based on this guide: Installation Guide for OPENWRT (BackFire) and CoovaChilli
2. Upgrade your router's firmware with the file downloaded (please check your router's manual to find out how to do this)If you have TPLink 841N v11, please check TPLink 841N v11 HotspotSystem Setup about how to upgrade.
3. If you have a router with 4+1 ethernet ports like Linksys WRT54GL,you can connect to it on 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.20.1 (with our newer firmware). If you have an access point type device with one ethernet port only, (like Ubiquiti Nanostation, Picostation, Rocket) connect it to your existing uplink router. You need to find out the IP address of the hotspot router from the uplink router's admin page (where the hotspot router is connecting to). Also, the hotspot router needs to have internet connection through the uplink router in order to run the setup script.
4. If you found out the IP address of the device of the hotspot router, you need to reach it from your browser.
Press LOGIN to log in without password first.
Click onGo to password configuration
Set a password by typing it twice in the corresponding fields.
5. Now you have to reach your router via SSH (use putty.exe from here: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe or from a MAC you can use 'ssh IP address' from a terminal window) with the password set previously.
(You won't be able to access the router via SSH if you haven't set a password for the router.)
This process is described here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin
6. Login in to the Control Center.
Go to Manage > Locations > yourlocation > Router setup command (bottom of page)
Please choose OpenWRT as the setup command type and copy the text of the script. Then paste your router setup script with SHIFT-INSERT (on PC) in the SSH window, and hit ENTER. The script will set up the router.
Enter 'reboot' then hit ENTER to reboot the router and your hotspot will be running once the router boots up, give it at least 2 minutes.